In the weeks before Thanksgiving Day, traditional meal items are donated by families and individuals. On the Saturday before Thanksgiving, volunteers distribute the food to low income families in our community who have previously registered at the Spend Yourself Food Pantry. Families receive an amount of food according to their family size.
Distribution Day Location: Same as the Spend Yourself® Food Pantry
Columbia @ Crossroads, 3245 Glen Carlyn Rd, Falls Church VA 22041
Date: Saturday, November 22, 2014
Time: 9:30–11:30am (Walk-ins will be accepted from 11:30am–12noon)
Event preparation, you may help in various different ways, including:
- Translators (Spanish-English) needed during registration on Sat mornings (late Oct-early Nov)
- Gathering bags and donated food throughout Falls Church campus
- Checking bags to ensure all items on shopping list are included
- Attaching shopping list to bags
- Transport donated food/grocery bags from Falls Church to Crossroads Campus
On Distribution Day (Saturday), you may help in various different ways, including:
- Direct Parking
- Greet People
- Show people to the Worship Center (where the food is distributed)
- Manage the Registration Tables
- Carry the Bags of Food
- Pray with People
- Clean up afterwards
You may serve from 7am to 10:30am or from 10am to 1pm, or both time slots.
There will be a training session and walk through for all Saturday volunteers on
Friday evening, November 21st at 7pm. All Saturday volunteers are encouraged to attend.