Spend Yourself® Food Pantry
About the Food Pantry
The Spend Yourself® Food Pantry (formerly known as Columbia Center for Missions) provides food to hungry people in our community. Our goal is to help the hungry, and build relationships in a warm and welcoming environment. 2015 was another year of growth in the ministry--26% more client visits, 12% more food received (including Thanksgiving Share donations), and 13% more volunteer hours.
Location & Hours of Operation:Saturdays, 9:30 am-12 noon Columbia @ Crossroads 3245 Glen Carlyn Rd
Falls Church VA 22041
Information For Clients
We do not require referrals or check IDs. Anyone is welcome to come any Saturday, between 9:30 am and noon. Clients generally receive ~3 bags of non-perishable food, plus one or two bags of bread and whatever other fresh items we have that day. People in emergency need of immediate food assistance may contact Columbia at 703-534-5700, or come by the church office at 103 W. Columbia St, Falls Church, Monday - Friday, between 10 am and 3 pm.
Food Pantry statisticsIn 2015, through faithful donations of time, prayer, money and food items, including cereal, canned vegetables, pasta and rice, the Food Pantry:
- Received 328,907 pounds of food (2014: 291,867, a 12.7% increase)
- Served 9,534 households, made up of 39,075 individuals (2014: 7,532 households, a 26.6% increase)
- Distributed 38,802 bags of food (2014: 28,755 bags of food, a 34.9% increase)
- Received help from 687 individual volunteers, totaling 11,796 volunteer hours! (2014: 10,425 volunteer hours, a 13.2% increase)
- View the food pantry statistics for 2005-2015
Get InvolvedThere are various ways you can get involved:
- DONATE FOOD (SHOP & SHARE)
Check out our current needs list or our wish list to see what you can donate. Place your donations in the blue bins around the church building; or contact Betsy Pankey, to make arrangements for delivery of big donations.
- GIVE FINANCIALLY
Your donations allow the Food Pantry to purchase needed items for discounted prices from the Capital Food Area Bank and other vendors. Donate now by going to our Online Giving page. Sign up for an account and designate the Columbia Food Pantry for your contribution.
Federal employees in the National Capital Area can donate to the food pantry through the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC), an annual fundraising drive conducted by federal employees in their workplace each fall. To contribute directly to the pantry through the CFC, visit the campaign’s website (www.cfcnca.org) and designate charity #76306 (Spend Yourself® Food Pantry). Or contact Pastor for Missions, Greg Loewer for more information.
- PRAY FOR THE PANTRY MINISTRY
Please pray for our clients; for our volunteers; and for the continued success of the ministry.
- VOLUNTEER YOUR TIME
The primary volunteer time is on Saturdays, between 8:30am and around 12:15pm. Tasks include working directly with clients to provide their food; pre-packing bags of food and shelving food; praying with clients. Non-Saturday tasks can include transporting food, receiving deliveries, and preparing the pantry for Saturday operations. All volunteers are scheduled; please contact our Food Pantry Director for more information or to volunteer.
Information for Youth Volunteers
- Youth younger than 15 are required to have a parent or other responsible adult accompany them.
- Youth 16 and older must provide a completed Food Pantry Youth Permission Form if they wish to volunteer without a parent or other responsible adult.
- A limited number of unaccompanied youth can be accommodated at the pantry each week, so make sure to sign up early.
Find us on Facebook