Dual Language Half-Day Program
In Fall 2013, Columbia's Child Development Center launched a half day afternoon dual language program (Spanish and English). Dr. Amy Brereton explains that young children hold a unique ability to acquire language skills and build first-rate verbal processing skills that have been proven to play a critical role in their cognitive development. The prime time for children to learn a language is before they start school. Language is stored in the brain's left hemisphere, with pronunciation and grammar in the Brocas area. Children who learn a word after puberty tend to pronounce it differently than if they learned it before the critical period of language learning ended.
Second language learning can also help to deepen children’s knowledge of their first language. Many English words share Latin roots with Spanish. Learning the meaning of a Spanish word enhances children’s capacity to utilize English more fully. Perhaps most importantly, learning multiple languages gives children the tools to serve, work and play not only in a global world, but also in the multicultural area we live in (Metro Washington).
Columbia's afternoon Dual language classes are quite wonderful and unique; offering an experience for your child which is neither, rote nor contrived, rather a beautiful melding of Spanish and English in a most natural way. For more information about second language learning in early childhood please see the Early Childhood News article on this topic below or contact us directly at: 703.534.5739 X290.
2014-2015 Dual Language Programs
September - May
- 18 Month Old Playgroup (Parent attends)
- Monday Morning 10:00-11:30 am
- Wednesday Afternoon 2:00-3:30 pm
- $70 per month for Monday or Wednesday OR $140 per month for Monday and Wednesday
- Two Year Old Class - 1:00-4:00 pm
- Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday - $345 per month
- Must be 30 months by Dec. 31st, 2014 and working towards or fully potty trained
- Three Year Old Class - 1:00-4:00 pm
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday - $345 per month
- 3 years old by Sept 30 and potty training
- Four Year Old Class - M-Th/F, 1:00-4:00 pm
- 4 Days - $420 per month
- 5 Days - $525 per month
- 4 years old by Sept. 30 and fully potty trained