2014 Deacon retreat
September 19, 6:30-9pm
September 20, 8:30am-1:30pm
NEW LOCATION! 3rd Floor, Family Life Building
(301 N Washington St, Falls Church)
Deacon-Led Ministry Teams
Columbia has a wide-ranging service based deacon ministry at Columbia. The Deacons lead teams to help meet key areas of need in our congregation. We encourage members and attendees to join us on these teams to ensure we have the coverage needed to care for and nurture our fellow Columbians.
- Baptism and Lord’s Supper Ministry - The focus of this team is to minister to persons who make a public confession of faith and would like to be baptized and to prepare and serve Lord's Supper at services.
- Bereavement & Grief Ministry - The focus of this team is to minister to members and regular attendees affected by terminal illness and/or the death of a loved one. This is a ministry of visitation to the home, funeral home, funeral service, providing some care items in time of needs, as well as following up for a person's journey through the grief process.
- Emergency Meal Ministry - The focus of this team is to minister to members and regular attendees who are affected by a time of crisis or upheaval in their normal schedule. This ministry provides food (home-cooked, purchased or gift certificates) for those dealing with issues such as surgery, convalescence, birth of a child, death in the immediate family.
- Handyman Ministry - This team focuses on practical servanthood that provides minor household repair and maintenance in the form of recommending courses of action or referral if repair and maintenance are beyond our capabilities. We minister to Columbians lacking the expertise or physical ability to do the repairs themselves.
- Homebound/Eldercare Ministry - This team focuses on persons confined to their homes, wherever their homes may be--private dwellings, retirement communities, nursing care centers, etc. This is a ministry of contact by personal invitation, phone calls or written correspondence.
- Hospital Visitation Ministry - The focus of this team is to minister to members or regular attendees who are hospitalized short or long term.
- Financial & Legal Ministry - The focus of this team is helping members and regular attendees navigate legal, medical and financial paperwork mazes which are often daunting and confusing.
- Prayer & Encouragement Ministry - The focus of this team is to pray for people and send personal notes of encouragement as well.
- Transportation Ministry - The focus of this team is to provide occasional transportation to members and regular attendees at Columbia to accomplish the activities of daily living: medical, legal and others as deemed appropriate by the team. Advance notice of one week or more is recommended as service is dependent upon the availability of drivers.
For more information, download a copy of the Deacon-Led Ministry Team brochure or pick one up from the Ministry Wall across from Stephenson Hall.